EFIS and Immunology Letters (IL) award short-term fellowships for up to 3 months of support for purposes of transnational scientific collaboration or advanced training in techniques or methodologies. The EFIS-IL Short-term Fellowship allowance is € 1.750/month and is awarded directly to the fellowship holder. In addition, EFIS will reimburse travel costs up to € 500. Eligibility criteria follow below.
Congratulations to the most recent recipients of EFIS-IL Short-term Fellowships (approved November 24, 2018)
- Maria Kazakova, Plovdiv Medical University (BG), to study the expression and modulation of CHI3L1 in microglia c/o the University of Catania (IT)
- Silvia Medina, Ramon y Cajal Hospital (ES), for research on the regulation of necroptosis in neurons in MS cortex at Imperial College London (UK)
- Laura Naranjo Rondán, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre (ES), to conduct research on circulating immune-complex of antiphospholipid antibodies as a pathogenic factor of thrombotic events and gestational morbidity in Antiphopholipid Syndrome c/o the Sheba Medical Center (IL)
- Joana Vitallé Andrade, Biocruces Bizkaia Health Research Institute (ES), to study the role of CD300a surface receptors in Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)-cell fusion mechanisms c/o the Wellcome Center of Human Genetics, University of Oxford (UK)
- Marcell Cserhalmi, Eötvös Loránd University (HU), for research on the functional characterization of the effect of human Factor H-related proteins and autoantibodies on alternative and classical pathway C3/C5 convertase activity and inhibition at the University Medical Center Utrecht (NL)
- Estibaliz Glaría Percaz, University of Barcelona, to study mechanisms of interference with macrophage bacterial uptake mediated by LXRs c/o the Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (DE)
- Matevž Rumpret, Wilhelmina Children’s Hospital (NL), to conduct research on SIRL-1 as an immune inhibitory receptor recognizing amyloids formed by human and bacterial antimicrobial peptides at Technion - Israel Institute of Technology (IL)
- Fleur Schaper, Radboud University Medical Center (NL), to study the role of tetraspanins on different myeloid cell subsets in the context of cancer c/o the VIB Center for Inflammation Research, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (BE)
- Rumyana Susurkova, Kiril Bratanov Institute of Biology and Immunology of Reproduction (BG), for research on the role of MAPK3 in natural regulatory T cells c/o the Medical University of Graz (AT)
- María Velasco de Andrés, August Pi i Sunyer Biomedical Research Institute (ES), to study scavenger receptors in trained immunity induced by fungi and bacteria at the Radboud University Medical Center (NL)
- Gemma Vila Pijoan, Vall d'Hebron University Hospital (ES), for research on mechanisms of cancer associated immune-mediated myositis and immunotherapy-related myositis c/o the Netherlands Cancer Institute-Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital (NL)
- Marie-Astrid Boutet, Queen Mary University, London (UK), to study the role of tetraspanin MS4A4A in a mouse model of rheumatoid arthritis at the Istituto Clinico Humanitas (IT)
- Camille Hurley, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (IE), to conduct research on the role of immune infiltrates in governing therapeutic response in HER2+ breast cancer c/o the Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers (FR)
Distribution of EFIS-IL Fellowships by Society and by Destination 2010 - 2017
- Applicants must be a member of an EFIS-affiliated society (exceptions to this may apply only for applicants from European countries without a national society);
- Applicants must be 35 years of age or younger and must hold at least a Master's degree (an extension of this age limit of up to 18 months may be granted for maternity/paternity leave, civil or military service, etc.);
- The proposed stay must be conducted in a European institution;
- Fellowships are not awarded in order to attend courses, symposia, meetings or congresses;
- Fellowships are not renewable and can be held only once;
- Fellowships cannot be held simultaneously with awards or funding made available by other sources or organizations, nor can they be used to prolong visits begun under other auspices, or as a means to bridge between research visits funded by other organizations.
To apply for an EFIS-IL short-term fellowship, please provide all required information in the online application form below.
Documents to submit:
- Short curriculum vitae (.doc or .pdf)
- List of publications (.doc or .pdf)
- Project proposal (max 2 pages, .doc or .pdf). The proposal should sufficiently summarize the aim, background, objectives and working plan of the proposed research stay.
- Letter of recommendation (from the current institute) (.doc or .pdf)
- Acceptance letter from the head/supervisor of the host Institute (.doc or .pdf)
- Proof of membership in an EFIS-affiliated society (.doc or .pdf)
The EFIS Board evaluates applications at its periodic board meetings, held every 3-4 months.NEXT DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION:February 15th, 2019